Old Forester bourbon was introduced by George Garvin Brown on Whiskey Row, Louisville, at 322 W. Main St. in 1870. The first ever bourbon to be sold in a sealed glass bottle, Old Forester was made according to Brown's 1870 Original Batch process of batching barrels from three distilleries to create a consistent flavour profile. Old Forester became a hit, and up until the Prohibition, was selling in the United States. The company, now called Brown- forman, applied for the federal license to continue producing Old Forester for medicinal pueposes, and were given the license needed, meaning production carried on.
In 1924, the distillery was moved from Whiskey Row to 18th and Howard Street, Louisville, to be able to increase production. At the end of Prohibition in 1933, the production increased once again and today, Old Forester is the only bourbon continually distilled and marketed by the founding family before, during and after Prohibition.Read More