The year is 1832, and the Licensing act has just been passed.William Teacher takes advantage of the new 'Excise Act' (making distilling whisky much easier) to sell his own blends. His first premises was his wife's grocery shop in Glasgow which is where he created his first blends. In 1856, William was awarded a 'license for consumption' and opens the first famous 'Dram Shop'.
In 1863, he finally launched his 'Perfection of old Scotch Whisky'. Teachers Highland Cream Whisky was welcomed to the world. Sadly,William died in 1876, leaving his two sons in charge. They complete the move to their new HQ at St. Enoch Square where they stayed until 1991!
In 1887,Teacher's creates Australian Bonded Whisky using their barrels of Whisky as ballasts on ships travelling to and from Australia guaranteeing the whisky many months of additional maturation in oak, without the need to find expensive storage space.
Due to the increased demands, Teacher's open Ardmore, their first single malt distillery in 1899. This was built to ensure a guaranteed supply of fully peated single malt whisky that gives Teacher's Blend its distinctive full flavour. At the end of the Prohibition, Teachers began to reach out to the American market, shipping it's first consignment on the Cunard steamer 'Scythia'.
1957, and Teachers are expanding again.Teacher's buys the 'Glendronach' single malt distillery in banffshire to meet the increase in demand for whisky following the end of rationing. Today, Teachers has seen various design changes, but has remained the same perfectly blended Scotch, as it was when William first released it to the world.Read More